Thursday, October 06, 2005

Mission

The small church I go to and volunteer at seems to struggle with member participation. I see that I really must pray for us all so that we as a church move in the direction God wants.

In my effort to read the Bible in a year (and I'm way behind) I read Exodus 35 and 36, and the Lord impressed something upon me. First here is what we observe.

In 35:4, "Moses said to the whole Israelite community, 'This is what the Lord has commanded:'", and then he goes on to explain that everyone who is willing shall bring offerings for the tabernacle. The request was clear and specific. Moses said it was a command of the Lord. He said with specific instruction what was to be made and what was to be brought.

And then we observe the most wonderful thing. In verses 20 and 21 it says, "Then the whole Israelite community withdrew from Moses' presence, and everyone who was willing and whose heart moved him came and brought an offering to the Lord for the work on the Tent of Meeting, for all its service and for the sacred garments." Furthermore we see that those who had the specific things requested brought them. Those with specific skills used them for their respective purpose. Even the leaders pitched in and brought onyx stones and other gems to be mounted on the ephod and breastpiece, as it says in verse 27. Finally, we read in verse 36:6 that Moses had to stop the people from bringing even more offerings because they were continuing to bring offerings morning after morning. Simply put, the Lord provided more than what was needed.

I'm sure we have lessons to learn and to apply to our church. One, my church should seek to know what the Lord is commanding and know His purpose as it is laid out in his Word. I simply don't see a specific mission for the church and I definitely don't hear about it. Two, the church, that is the people of the church, should have clear and specific instructions of what to do. Three, if we know what is God's purpose then we should have faith the Holy Spirit will move and inspire those of us with a willing heart to carry out the tasks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adullamite said...

I think you will find that, world wide, ten% of the congregation will particpate in everything. The rest hang back, for a variety of reasons.
Some are to old, incapable, or have justifiable reasons for letting others take the initiative. The majarity will prefer to be led. This is human nature! All pastors will confirm this.
Glad you are keen for Jesus moving. He hears you, even if he does not answer!
Expect nothing from those around you, Love Jesus, and then love them as Jesus would, and Jesus will be glad.
The church will follow...possibly!
Look up,not around.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I know what you're saying. I've told others this before: Don't look at Christians, look at Christ.

Just so that I'm not misleading any readers, I'm not the church pastor. I'm just one of those led by the Spirit to help.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Here's a sidenote.

As humble as I should be, I shall consider it's not completely the church leadership's fault.

Follow the link that Mark provides in his post on Three17.

http://three17.blogspot.com/2005/10/belter-link-fixed.html

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home