Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Bruised Reed

How many times have we clicked link after link until we find ourselves someplace we should never be. Hopefully fewer times than those of which lead us to something helpful.

Today it was helpful. Today I started with Average Girl, my wife's blog. On it is a link to Three17 by a blogger and pastor in Ireland named Mark. I noted that he mentions "The Christian in Complete Armour", a 3-part volume we own by William Gurnall, a Puritan, along with a link to another blogger posting about the "Puritan Paperback Challenge".

Though I've wanted to learn more about the Puritan's pursuit to Christianity, I also thought that to try to lift myself up to be Puritan-like is in itself a sin because it would lead to being prideful. But I searched for more information about the first paperback on the list "The Bruised Reed" by Richard Sibbes and found the entire text of it. This book is not about making myself pure but rather it is about realizing first what a sinner I am and what a need for Christ I have. Now that's a book I should read!

In my years as a follower of Christ I've found that I do not grow as close to him by the happy times in life as much as I do when after restoration from being bruised and broken. So let's see what Sibbes has to say about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home