Friday, June 30, 2006

Joshua Lesson

In my effort to read the Bible in a year I have found difficulty in reading Joshua. Much of the middle of it, chapters 13 through 21, deals with the divisions of the towns, and villages and pasturelands for the clans. Perhaps some day I'll see a significance in it. But right now I would much prefer to read about something historical, or an epistle, something I can reflect on and allow the Lord to show me how it applies to life.

And then I read chapter 22 and I found some interesting observations.
1. Joshua first "preaches" and reminds the tribes of all that the Lord has done for their people (vv 1-13). He glorifies God, and it is an encouragement to them.
2. Then Joshua rebukes the tribes. He says, "Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. (v 14)
3. He publicly declares where he stands. He says, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." (v 15)

There's an interesting response from the people which I think we can all relate to.

4. The people answered, "Far be it from us to forsake the LORD to serve other gods!". But it is evident they were still sinning by reading v 23, "Now then," said Joshua, "throw away the foreign gods that are among you and yield your hearts to the LORD, the God of Isreal."

So, even though the people believed they had the right knowledge and the right attitude they were still sinning; specifically, they had foreign gods among them. My understanding of this passage is that the people didn't realize their error. But Joshua knew it. He did not assume the people would do the right thing when they simply said, "we will serve the LORD". He specifically told them, "throw away the foreign gods."

I have a couple take-aways.

1. Most Christians today don't point out specific sins in our lives lest they be called harsh and judgemental. So we must ask ourselves, "Am I really living a right life, what is the evidence? Or do I think I'm serving the LORD while subconciously holding onto sin (secret or obvious), or an idol?". Jesus has pointed out, take care to remove the "plank" from our own eye. And don't stop there, then you can see clearly to remove the speck of sawdust from your brother's eye. We are still our brother's keeper.
2. For the spiritual leader, take care to call out sin for what it is and tell people to do what's right. But not before taking a stand in your own life and living out the verse, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

There's a bit more to this chapter I can go on about. Perhaps on another blog post.

As the Word points out the spirit of the antichrist is among us, and that love of most has grown cold. So it is time to serve the Lord. As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home