Saturday, July 05, 2008

Doubting Didymus

I first took notice a few weeks ago that Thomas was also called Didymus. Most of us has heard the nickname, Doubting Thomas, but no one has ever called anyone a "Doubting Didymus". I think the alliteration would be more catchy, don't you?

Or maybe Sarchastic Toned Thomas? Read John chapter 11:1-16 and look from the point of view of the disciples that were with Jesus. Make your own observations but let me share what I noticed.

  • They had just come from Judea prior, where Jesus escaped from being killed by the unbelieving Jews.
  • They waited there two days after hearing news that Lazarus was sick.
  • Then Jesus says we should go back after knowing Lazarus had died.

Jesus' plan was to glorify God and his disciples were simply trying to follow him and sort out the circumstances. They told him, "hey, the Jews tried to stone you back there and you want to go back??" Not only Thomas but I think they all weren't sure about what was going to happen. And then as Jesus revealed all he knew, that Lazarus was dead and the was to go there to give proof of why they should believe, Doubting Didymus pipes up and says (I imagine it in a sarchastic tone), "Oh sure, let us also go, that we may die with him". I chuckled to myself when I read it from that point of view. More seriously though, I now observe that he was not focusing on Christ but on the dangerous circumstances they had left behind two days ago.

I think we all find it difficult to keep our eyes on Jesus and instead look at and try to sort out the circumstances. I admit I do all too often. And it will take some practice to become skilled at living, obeying, facing the enemy, taking on the challenge, or whatever it might be in the midst of and in spite of what we are feeling. I've heard Alistair Begg say that courage is not the absence of fear but carrying on to face the circumstances despite our feelings of fearfulness. And then what I've noticed is when I keep our eyes on Jesus the circumstances become small, and my fears dissipate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home