Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Christian's Evening Work

There are things, scriptures and quotes, I run into which truly humbles my heart.

From the Galatians study this week one question posed is this: Consider your own life-style. What changes would you need to make to act in line of the truth of the gospel?

The question is in reference to Galatians 2:14. Paul rebuked Peter because he was distinguishing between Jewish and Gentile believers, giving preference to Jewish believers. The question had me read Philippians 2:1-11. This passage admonishes us to put aside vain conceit and in humility to consider others better than ourselves.

What changes would I need to make? Oh man, where do I start!?

Earlier in the week I read this Spurgeon devotional titled, "The Christian's Evening Work". It challenges me to think, how much effort do I put into proclaiming the gospel message, that Jesus died -- not because he did anything wrong, or that there was mistaken identity, or as a martyr, but for the atoning sacrifice for my sin and yours -- so that people may be free from sin and live eternally. Here's a brief point from the devotional.
Life is so brief that no man can afford to lose a day. It has been well said that if a great king were to bring us a great heap of gold and bid us take as much as we could count in a day, we would make a long day of it; we would begin early in the morning, and in the evening we would not withhold our hand. Winning souls is far nobler work; so how is it that we quit so soon?
In the greater context he was addressing me and others who have "day jobs" but in the evening we may put aside the work of our Lord. I think of the spiritual implications of the secular story, "A Christmas Carol", when Scrooge is visited by the spirit of Jacob Marley. Scrooge said, "Jacob, you always had a good head for business." And in reply Marley says, "Mankind was my business!"

Heaven and Hell are serious, so shall we withold our hand to the task? Let the love of our Lord carry us on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home