Saturday, December 02, 2006

Prayer On My Mind

Prayer has been on my mind lately. I just listened to a TFL message regarding prayer. My Galatians study is leading me to think more about life by the Spirit. And today I read a Spurgeon devotional that mentions prayer.

In the Spurgeon devotional for November 28 it includes, "Others have what is far better, namely, close fellowship with the King of kings. Let them be sure to pray daily for the weak among the Lord's people, the doubting, the tempted, and the comfortless. It will redound to their honor if they make much intercession for those who are in darkness and dare not draw close to the mercy-seat."

Look at who is on Spurgeon's prayer list: the weak, the doubting, the tempted, the comfortless.

Often I hear of prayer requests for the most dire circumstances. Someone has cancer, someone was injured, someone lost their job, someone had a death in the family. But I do not recall ever hearing a prayer request about someone struggling with doubt, or with temptation. Are these not the weapons with which the enemy wages war against the saints? When we fight back shouldn't we aim to bring the downtrodden closer to the Lord?

I'm not sure why we pray for a deliverence from affliction when it can be through affliction we may know God more (Psalm 119:71). I'm not saying we would harm ourselves in order to know God. But if illness falls on us, we can and should rejoice. (Romans 5) Also, I'm not saying we should withold pray about illness or other dire circumstances. Scripture is clear about praying in all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. We should have prayers of supplication and prayers of thanksgiving.

What a fantastic thing, to come into close fellowship of the Lord. Let us make prayer something we desire every day and as often as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home