Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Clothed in Flesh

Whenever I get a moment in time I pull out my guitar to play. I've been trying to eek out some Christmas hymns as I strum or pluck chords. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, as with many of these hymns, has such excellent proclamations of Christ!

Earlier I posted some insight from my Galatians study about being clothed in Christ. I now see there's a verse in this hymn that says the complementary.

Christ by highest heaven adorned
Christ, the everlasting Lord
Late in time behold him come
Offspring of the virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Please as man with men to dwell
Jesus our Emmanuel

Similarly as we should be clothed in Christ, Jesus chose to be "clothed in flesh". Our everlasting Lord did not just reign from Heaven, but chose to condescend so that we may be with God. He was pleased to be a man to dwell with men. Emmanuel (or in the NIV, Immanuel) means "God is with us".

What is our motivation, what helps us to carry on? It is God's love. That is our "ultimate, underlying, no denying motivation." (Wes King).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home